Thursday, November 24, 2011

Think and be thankful. I will -- out on a farm.

My vey first Thanksgiving has started off great. And I believe it will only get better. This afternoon, me and my roommates will be picked up and taken out to a farm in Virginia. It couldn't be more real.

So, a crash course in Thanksgiving history. Pilgrims came to the country on their Mayflower in the 1620's. Within the first year, two thirds of them died (NB: numbers and data provided by Cramer), since they basically didn't know how survive. As the story goes, the Indians taught the Pilgrims how to grown corn and as fall came they had a big harvest feast.

In 1863, president Lincoln declared the final Thursday of November as Thanksgiving Day, to a great extent influenced by lobbying by writer Sarah Josepha Hale -- giving all housewives around the nation a long holiday. Years later, in 1941, with the motive to give people a reason to spend money in time of economic crisis, Franklin D. Roosevelt agreed to make Thanksgiving Day a national holiday the fourth Thursday of November.

This fourth Thursday is here and all we're waiting for is our ride out to the Virginia farm. Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Now I will take a moment to think about what I am thankful for. Believe me. It is a lot. I will get back to you on that one.


No comments:

Post a Comment