Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Does it show? I don't know. But I'll do it anyhow.

When you're sitting by your intern desk, a little bit aside from most of the others, it's sometimes hard to know if it shows, if it's recognized, the small things that you do. I've always been a hard worker and I like seeing immediate results. That's why working in a restaurant suited me well. There was always something to do and I was always doing something.

"Never, ever carry an empty tray," was the advice my first restaurant manager gave me. So I didn't. I made sure to always carry something from the kitchen and always bring something with me on my way back.

At an office, that kind of hands-on-always-carrying-something is a bit harder. But I try. When I haven't been asked to do anything specific or sense that it's not a good time to bother people with questions, I create work. I clean the kitchen. I organize office supplies in neat piles. I check the printers every now and then. I make coffee if nobody else has. I rearrange the magazines and newspapers so it looks nice for potential visitors.

Those things don't end up on the company Web site. I can't print it and add it to my portfolio. It's nothing that will drive the company to success. But I'll do it anyway. Because not everything is about results. Additionally, and most importantly, that's just how I am.

Being noteworthy is not only about others to notice you. Don't forget to be proud over yourself. For the things you know that you do. For just being you.


No comments:

Post a Comment