Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Why to what?

We were in class the other day, talking about how the media covers certain events, making them bigger than they actually are - obviously referring to Hurricane Irene - when the professor (Cramer, by the way, brilliant man) says something I don't understand. What I heard was something like "Well, we all remember why-to-kay! Oh maybe you are to young for that."

Well, I am Grandma, but I figured I am too, too young for remembering why-to-kay, 'cause I had no idea wat he was referring to. Shortly after, when he said something about nineteen ninety nine and new year's eve, I realized he was obviously talking about the turn of the millennium.

Y2K [why-to-kay] = Year Two Thousand.

Things like that just make the Linguist happy inside out. Yey!


1 comment:

  1. Det är lite roligt med sådana där förkortningar, som blir uttryck. Fast oftast går det ju bra med de ursprungliga orden också. När jag jobbade på en IT-avdelning i slutet av 90-talet jobbade alla intensivt med Y2K (mycket att ställa om i datorerna). Varför inte år 2000? Det låter lite coolare med Y2K :)

    ReplyDelete