Thursday, October 27, 2011

The game of the job hunt.

So, tell me a little bit about yourself. What are your weaknesses? What did you achieve at earlier jobs? Why do you want to work here? Do you prefer working alone or with others? Why should I hire you?

All these questions! And I need to answer them. First of all, for a school assignment. But most importantly, for the upcoming internship interviews. The program I am attending consists of a five-month internship and now it is about time to make sure to get one. How convenient that the communications class I am attending is, at this point in time, dealing with interviews and working environment.

One thing I have noticed, is that grades, previous achievements and actual results of what you have done seem to be so very, very important in the process of looking for a job here in the US. I find this very different from back home in Sweden. Here, everybody is really pointing out the importance of showing good school accomplishments and being able to explain exactly what you have accomplished. It is also highly preferable if you have volunteered.

It seems to be so much more of a game here. Whether or not that is the case, I am about to find out. In general, I don't like playing games, but sometimes you don't really have a choice - do you?


No comments:

Post a Comment