Sunday, August 21, 2011

America and the choices.

I love food. When I travel to a new place, preferably in a new country, I like to walk around looking at food. Not only do I love these big fruit, fish, meat, what have you, markets, I also love the small deli on the corner as much as I like the huge grocery store out in the suburb. Yes, I have this weird thing for grocery stores.

Here, in the United States of America, I am somewhat in heaven. The shops and grocery stores are many and almost always open. At least in my neighborhood. Before going here, I was imagining that everything would be big. Huge, even. A fellow classmate told me the other day, that she saw a packet of butter as big as herself - whether or not that is true I cannot say, but I will find out some time during the upcoming week. 

What amazes me the most, and makes me feel like I'm in heaven, is not the size, it is the multiple choices! America sure is the country of choices. Not ideal for a very indecisive person as me. My first grocery shopping took at least three hours and I was so puzzled by all the choices that I only left with some plain yoghurt, cereal and baby carrots.

It will take me some time to get used to this. But I guess I will slowly but surely learn from the best, my roommate, who went to buy ice cream last night and came back with every single flavor in the shop. Why choose when you can have it all? 

Everything but...

/Indecisive person



1 comment:

  1. Så spännande! Ett år fyllt av nyheter och lärande.

    Ben & Jerry's glass gör sig faktiskt bäst i flertal. :)

    ReplyDelete